||Contributions of the MACS
First report of clinical, behavioral and laboratory findings that predicted AIDS in 300 men who developed AIDS
- Polk BF, Fox R, Brookmeyer R, Kanchanaraksa S, Kaslow R, Visscher B, Rinaldo C, Phair J.
Predictors of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome developing in a cohort of seropositive homosexual men.
N Engl J Med 1987;316:61-66. PMC Exempt
Documented the major risk factor for incident HIV infections is receptive anal intercourse
- Kingsley LA, Detels R, Kaslow R, Polk BF, Rinaldo CR, Jr., Chmiel J, Detre K, Kelsey SF, Odaka N, Ostrow D,
Van Raden M, Visscher B. Risk factors for seroconversion to human immunodeficiency virus among male homosexuals.
Results from the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Lancet 1987;1:345-349. PMC Exempt
- Kingsley LA, Zhou SYJ, Bacellar H, Rinaldo CR, Jr., Chmiel J, Detels R, Saah A, Van Raden M, Ho M, Muñoz A,
The Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Temporal trends in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 seroconversion
1984-1989. A report from the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS). Am J Epidemiol 1991;134:331-339. PMC Exempt
Incident HIV infection is accompanied by a paucity of clinical symptoms
- Fox R, Eldred LJ, Fuchs EJ, Kaslow RA, Visscher BR, Ho M, Phair JP, Polk BF. Clinical manifestations of acute
infection with human immunodeficiency virus in a cohort of gay men. AIDS 1987;1:35-38. PMC Exempt
- Phair JP, Margolick JB, Jacobson LP, Phillips J, Rinaldo C, Kaslow R, Chu C, Giorgi JV, Henrard D. Detection
of infection with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 before seroconversion: correlation with clinical symptoms
and outcome. J Infect Dis 1997;175:959-962. PMC Exempt
Incident HIV infection is associated with a 60 % decline in CD4 T-cell counts within 12-18 months and an increase
in CD8 and CD3+ CD4-CD8- T-cell counts
- Giorgi JV, Detels R. T-cell subset alterations in HIV-infected homosexual men: NIAID Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study.
Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1989;52:10-18. PMC Exempt
- Margolick JB, Carey V, Muñoz A, Polk BF, Giorgi JV, Bauer KD, Kaslow R, Rinaldo C. Development of antibodies
to HIV-1 is associated with an increase in circulating CD3+CD4-CD8- lymphocytes. Clin Immunol Immunopathol
1989;51:348-361. PMC Exempt
Demonstrated that natural history of HIV infection is profoundly heterogeneous
- Detels R, English PA, Giorgi JV, Visscher BR, Fahey JL, Taylor JMG, Dudley JP, Nishanian P, Muñoz A,
Phair JP, Polk BF, Rinaldo CR. Patterns of CD4+ cell changes after HIV-1 infection indicate the existence
of a codeterminant of AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1988;1:390-395. PMC Exempt
- Muñoz A, Wang MC, Bass S, Taylor JMG, Kingsley LA, Chmiel JS, Polk BF, The Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Group.
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)-free time after human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)
seroconversion in homosexual men. Am J Epidemiol 1989;130:530-539. PMC Exempt
- Muñoz A, Carey V, Taylor JMG, Chmiel JS, Kingsley L, Van Raden M, Hoover DR. Estimation of time since exposure
for a prevalent cohort. Stat Med 1992;11:939-952. PMC Exempt
Characterized advanced immunodeficiency and identified prognostic factors, especially the degree of cellular activation,
associated with mortality
- Apolonio EG, Hoover DR, He Y, Saah AJ, Lyter DW, Detels R, Kaslow RA, Phair JP. Prognostic factors in human
immunodeficiency virus-positive patients with a CD4+ lymphocyte count < 50/mL. J Infect Dis 1995;171:829-836.
- Giorgi JV, Hultin LE, McKeating JA, Johnson TD, Owens B, Jacobson LP, Shih R, Lewis J, Wiley DJ, Phair JP,
Wolinsky SM, Detels R. Shorter survival in advanced human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection is more
closely associated with T lymphocyte activation than with plasma virus burden or virus chemokine coreceptor usage.
J Infect Dis 1999;179:859-870. PMC Exempt
Documented that heterogeneity of progression is determined by age at time of infection, and by plasma HIV RNA
levels at onset of infection and during established HIV infection
- Mellors JW, Rinaldo CR, Jr., Gupta P, White RM, Todd JA, Kingsley LA. Prognosis in HIV-1 infection predicted by
the quantity of virus in plasma. Science 1996;272:1167-1170. PMC Exempt
- Muñoz A, Xu J. Models for the incubation of AIDS and variations according to age and period. Stat Med
1996;15:2459-2473. PMC Exempt
- Mellors JW, Muñoz A, Giorgi JV, Margolick JB, Tassoni CJ, Gupta P, Kingsley LA, Todd JA, Saah AJ, Detels R,
Phair JP, Rinaldo CR, Jr. Plasma viral load and CD4+ lymphocytes as prognostic markers of HIV-1 infection.
Ann Intern Med 1997;126:946-954. PMC Exempt
- Lyles RH, Muñoz A, Yamashita TE, Bazmi H, Detels R, Rinaldo CR, Margolick JB, Phair JP, Mellors JW. Natural history
of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 viremia after seroconversion and proximal to AIDS in a large cohort of
homosexual men. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. J Infect Dis 2000;181:872-880. PMC Exempt
Showed that failure of T-cell homeostasis precedes development of AIDS
- Margolick JB, Muñoz A, Donnenberg AD, Park LP, Galai N, Giorgi JV, O'Gorman MRG, Ferbas J. Failure of T-cell
homeostasis preceding AIDS in HIV-1 infection. The Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Nat Med 1995;1:674-680.
- Gange SJ, Muñoz A, Chmiel JS, Donnenberg AD, Kirstein LM, Detels R, Margolick JB. Identification of inflections
in T-cell counts among HIV-1-infected individuals and relationship with progression to clinical AIDS.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998;95:10848-10853. PMC Exempt
Host genetics found to be determinant of HIV acquisition and progression
- Dean M, Carrington M, Winkler C, Huttley GA, Smith MW, Allikmets R, Goedert JJ, Buchbinder SP, Vittinghoff E,
Gomperts E, Donfield S, Vlahov D, Kaslow R, Saah A, Rinaldo C, Detels R, Hemophilia Growth and Development Study
(HGDS), Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS), Multicenter Hemophilia Cohort Study (MHCS), San Francisco City
Cohort (SFCC), ALIVE Study, O'Brien SJ. Genetic restriction of HIV-1 infection and progression to AIDS by a
deletion allele of the CKR5 structural gene. Hemophilia Growth and Development Study, Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study,
Multicenter Hemophilia Cohort Study, San Francisco City Cohort, ALIVE Study. Science 1996;273:1856-1862. PMC Exempt
- Huang Y, Paxton WA, Wolinsky SM, Neumann AU, Zhang L, He T, Kang S, Ceradini D, Jin Z, Yazdanbakhsh K, Kunstman K,
Erickson D, Dragon E, Landau NR, Phair J, Ho DD, Koup RA. The role of a mutant CCR5 allele in HIV-1 transmission
and disease progression. Nat Med 1996;2:1240-1243. PMC Exempt
- Zimmerman PA, Buckler-White A, Alkhatib G, Spalding T, Kubofcik J, Combadiere C, Weissman D, Cohen O, Rubbert A, Lam G,
Vaccarezza M, Kennedy PE, Kumaraswami V, Giorgi JV, Detels R, Hunter J, Chopek M, Berger EA, Fauci AS, Nutman TB,
Murphy PM. Inherited resistance to HIV-1 conferred by an inactivating mutation in CC chemokine receptor 5: studies
in populations with contrasting clinical phenotypes, defined racial background, and quantified risk. Mol Med
1997;3:23-36. PMC Exempt
- Kostrikis LG, Huang Y, Moore JP, Wolinsky SM, Zhang L, Guo Y, Deutsch L, Phair J, Neumann AU, Ho DD. A chemokine
receptor CCR2 allele delays HIV-1 disease progression and is associated with a CCR5 promoter mutation. Nat Med
1998;4:350-353. PMC Exempt
Host genetics accounted for up to 30% of differences in HIV progression
- Silverberg MJ, Smith MW, Chmiel JS, Detels R, Margolick JB, Rinaldo CR, O'Brien SJ, Muñoz A. Fraction of cases
of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome prevented by the interactions of identified restriction gene variants.
Am J Epidemiol 2004;159:232-241. PMC Exempt
Development of KS associated with specific HLA alleles
- Kaslow RA, Duquesnoy R, Van Raden M, Kingsley L, Marrari M, Friedman H, Su S, Saah AJ, Detels R, Phair J, Rinaldo C.
A1, Cw7, B8, DR3 HLA antigen combination associated with rapid decline of T-helper lymphocytes in HIV-1 infection.
A report from the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Lancet 1990;335:927-930. PMC Exempt
Risk of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) in MSM increased with <200 CD4 T-cells/ul
- Phair J, Muñoz A, Detels R, Kaslow R, Rinaldo C, Saah A. The risk of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia among men
infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Group. N Engl J Med
1990;322:161-165. PMC Exempt
Advanced immunodeficiency increased risk of MAC infection, CMV retinitis, and CNS Toxoplasma gondii infection
- Israelski DM, Chmiel JS, Poggensee L, Phair JP, Remington JS. Prevalence of Toxoplasma infection in a cohort of
homosexual men at risk of AIDS and toxoplasmic encephalitis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1993;6:414-418.
- Hoover DR, Graham NMH, Bacellar H, Murphy R, Visscher B, Anderson R, McArthur J. An epidemiologic analysis of
Mycobacterium avium complex disease in homosexual men infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1. Clin
Infect Dis 1995;20:1250-1258. PMC Exempt
- Hoover DR, Peng Y, Saah A, Semba R, Detels RR, Rinaldo CR, Jr., Phair JP. Occurrence of cytomegalovirus retinitis
after human immunodeficiency virus immunosuppression. Arch Ophthalmol 1996;114:821-827. PMC Exempt
Neuropyschologic abnormalities are uncommon among men who had not progressed to AIDS
- McArthur JC, Cohen BA, Selnes OA, Kumar AJ, Cooper K, McArthur JH, Soucy G, Cornblath DR, Chmiel JS, Wang MC,
Starkey DL, Ginzburg H, Ostrow DG, Johnson RT, Phair JP, Polk BF. Low prevalence of neurological and
neuropsychological abnormalities in otherwise healthy HIV-1-infected individuals: results from the Multicenter
AIDS Cohort Study. Ann Neurol 1989;26:601-611. PMC Exempt
Increased liver related deaths due to HBV infection in HIV infected men
- Thio CL, Seaberg EC, Skolasky R, Phair J, Visscher B, Muñoz A, Thomas DL. HIV-1, hepatitis B virus, and risk of
liver-related mortality in the Multicenter Cohort Study (MACS). Lancet 2002;360:1921-1926. PMC Exempt
Description of the role of class I and class II HLA antigens in men with chronic HBV infection
- Thio CL, Thomas DL, Karacki P, Gao X, Marti D, Kaslow RA, Goedert JJ, Hilgartner M, Strathdee SA, Duggal P, O'Brien SJ,
Astemborski J, Carrington M. Comprehensive analysis of class I and class II HLA antigens and chronic hepatitis
B virus infection. J Virol 2003;77:12083-12087. PMC Exempt
Demonstrated the role of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte in recovery from HBV infection
- Rinaldo C, Huang X-L, Fan Z, Ding M, Beltz L, Logar A, Panicali D, Mazzara G, Liebmann J, Cottrill M, Gupta P.
High levels of anti-human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) memory cytotoxic T-lymphocyte activity and
low viral load are associated with lack of disease in HIV-1-infected long-term nonprogressors. J Virol
1995;69:5838-5842. PMC Exempt
- Thio CL, Mosbruger TL, Kaslow RA, Karp CL, Strathdee SA, Vlahov D, O'Brien SJ, Astemborski J, Thomas DL. Cytotoxic
T-lymphocyte antigen 4 gene and recovery from hepatitis B virus infection. J Virol 2004;78:11258-11262. PMC Exempt
Described the increased risk of HCV infection in HIV infected men with < 550 CD4 T-cells
- Witt MD, Seaberg EC, Darilay A, Young S, Badri S, Rinaldo CR, Jacobson LP, Detels R, Thio CL. Incident hepatitis
C virus infection in men who have sex with men: A prospective cohort analysis, 1984-2011. Clin Infect Dis
2013;57:77-84. PMCID: PMC3669529
Defined the protective role of GBV-C infection in progression of HIV-1 infection
- Williams CF, Klinzman D, Yamashita TE, Xiang J, Polgreen PM, Rinaldo C, Liu C, Phair J, Margolick JB, Zdunek D,
Hess G, Stapleton JT. Persistent GB virus C infection and survival in HIV-infected men. N Engl J Med
2004;350(10): 981-990. PMC Exempt
Demonstrated that B-cell activation precedes the development of NHL
- Martinez-Maza O, Breen EC. B-cell activation and lymphoma in patients with HIV. Curr Opin Oncol 2002;14:528-532.
- Epeldegui M, Breen EC, Hung YP, Boscardin WJ, Detels R, Martinez-Maza O. Elevated expression of activation induced
cytidine deaminase (AID) in peripheral blood mononuclear cells precedes the diagnosis of AIDS-associated
non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. AIDS 2007;21:2265-2270. PMC Exempt
- Guo Y, Siewe B, Epeldegui M, Detels R, Landay A, Martinez-Maza O. TLR2 activated B cells are phenotypically
similar to the abnormal circulating B cells seen preceding the diagnosis of AIDS related non-Hodgkin lymphoma
(NHL) diagnosis. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2013;64:204-210 PMCID: PMC3778065
Described increased serum levels of cytokines and markers of immune activation years before diagnosis of NHL
- Yawetz S, Cumberland WG, van der Meyden M, Martínez-Maza O. Elevated serum levels of soluble CD23 (sCD23) precede
the appearance of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome-associated non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Blood 1995;85:1843-1849.
- Breen EC, van der Meijden M, Cumberland W, Kishimoto T, Detels R, Martinez-Maza O. The development of AIDS-associated
Burkitt's/small noncleaved cell lymphoma is preceded by elevated serum levels of interleukin 6. Clin Immunol
1999;92:293-299. PMC Exempt
- Schroeder JR, Saah AJ, Ambinder RF, Martinez-Maza O, Breen EC, Variakojis D, Margolick JB, Jacobson LP, Rowe DT,
Hoover DR. Serum sCD23 level in patients with AIDS-related non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is associated with absence of
Epstein-Barr virus in tumor tissue. Clin Immunol 1999;93:239-244. PMC Exempt
- Widney D, Gundapp G, Said JW, van der Meijden M, Bonavida B, Demidem A, Trevisan C, Taylor J, Detels R, Martinez-Maza O.
Aberrant expression of CD27 and soluble CD27 (sCD27) in HIV infection and in AIDS-associated lymphoma.
Clin Immunol 1999;93:114-123. PMC Exempt
- Breen EC, Boscardin WJ, Detels R, Jacobson LP, Smith MW, O'Brien SJ, Chmiel JS, Rinaldo CR, Lai S, Martinez-Maza O.
Non-Hodgkin's B cell lymphoma in persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome is associated with increased
serum levels of IL10, or the IL10 promoter -592 C/C genotype. Clin Immunol 2003;109:119-129. PMC Exempt
- Breen EC, Hussain SK, Magpantay L, Jacobson LP, Detels R, Rabkin CS, Kaslow RA, Variakojis D, Bream JH, Rinaldo CR,
Ambinder RF, Martinez-Maza O. B-cell stimulatory cytokines and markers of immune activation are elevated several
years prior to the diagnosis of systemic AIDS-associated non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers
Prev 2011;20:1303-1314. PMCID: PMC3132317
- Thapa DR, Bhatia K, Bream JH, D'Souza G, Rinaldo CR, Wolinsky S, Detels R, Martinez-Maza O. B-cell activation induced
microRNA-21 is elevated in circulating B cells preceding the diagnosis of AIDS-related non-Hodgkin lymphomas.
AIDS 2012;26:1177-1180. PMCID: PMC3355225
- Hussain SK, Zhu W, Chang SC, Breen EC, Vendrame E, Magpantay L, Widney D, Conn D, Sehl M, Jacobson LP, Bream JH, Wolinsky
S, Rinaldo CR, Ambinder RF, Detels R, Zhang ZF, Martínez-Maza O. Serum levels of the chemokine CXCL13, genetic
variation in CXCL13 and its receptor CXCR5, and HIV-associated non-Hodgkin B cell lymphoma risk. Cancer Epidemiol
Biomarkers Prev 2013;22:295-307. PMCID: PMC3703445
Collaborated with Drs. Moore and Chang to determine the seroprevalence and incidence of HHV8 infection in the MACS
- Gao SJ, Kingsley L, Li M, Zheng W, Parravicini C, Ziegler J, Newton R, Rinaldo CR, Saah A, Phair J, Detels R, Chang Y,
Moore PS. KSHV antibodies among Americans, Italians and Ugandans with and without Kaposi's sarcoma. Nat Med
1996;2:925-928. PMC Exempt
- Gao SJ, Kingsley L, Hoover DR, Spira TJ, Rinaldo CR, Saah A, Phair J, Detels R, Parry P, Chang Y, Moore PS.
Seroconversion to antibodies against Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-related latent nuclear antigens
before the development of Kaposi's sarcoma. N Engl J Med 1996;335:233-241. PMC Exempt
Demonstrated that timing of HHV8 (KSHV) and HIV impacts KS incidence
- Jacobson LP, Jenkins FJ, Springer G, Muñoz A, Shah KV, Phair J, Zhang Z-F, Armenian H. Interaction of human
immunodeficiency virus type 1 and human herpesvirus type 8 infections on the incidence of Kaposi's sarcoma.
J Infect Dis 2000;181:1940-1949. PMC Exempt
Demonstrated the increased risk of HPV-associated cancers in HIV infected men
- D'Souza G, Wiley DJ, Li X, Chmiel JS, Margolick JB, Cranston RD, Jacobson LP. Incidence and epidemiology of anal
cancer in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008;48:491-499. PMCID: PMC exempt
- Silverberg MJ, Lau B, Justice AC, Engels E, Gill MJ, Goedert JJ, Kirk GD, D'Souza G, Bosch RJ, Brooks JT, Napravnik S,
Hessol NA, Jacobson LP, Kitahata MM, Klein MB, Moore RD, Rodriguez B, Rourke SB, Saag MS, Sterling TR, Gebo KA,
Press N, Martin JN, Dubrow R. Risk of anal cancer in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected individuals in North America.
Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:1026-1034. PMCID: PMC3297645
HAART dramatically affects HIV disease progression
- Giorgi JV, Majchrowicz MA, Johnson TD, Hultin P, Matud J, Detels R. Immunologic effects of combined protease
inhibitor and reverse transcriptase inhibitor therapy in previously treated chronic HIV-1 infection. AIDS
1998;12:1833-1844. PMC Exempt
- Tarwater PM, Margolick JB, Jin J, Phair JP, Detels R, Rinaldo C, Giorgi J, Muñoz A. Increase and plateau of CD4
T-cell counts in the 3-1/2 years after initiation of potent antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr
2001;27(2): 168-175. PMC Exempt
- Jacobson LP, Li R, Phair J, Margolick JB, Rinaldo CR, Detels R, Muñoz A. Evaluation of the effectiveness of highly
active antiretroviral therapy in persons with human immunodeficiency virus using biomarker-based equivalence of
disease progression. Am J Epidemiol 2002;155:760-770. PMC Exempt
- Yamashita TE, Phair JP, Muñoz A, Margolick JB, Detels R, O'Brien SJ, Mellors JW, Wolinsky SM, Jacobson LP.
Immunologic and virologic response to highly active antiretroviral therapy in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study.
AIDS 2001;15:735-746. PMC Exempt
Evaluated population effectiveness of cART using calendar time as an instrument variable to demonstrate reduction of
AIDS and death in treated men
- Detels R, Muñoz A, McFarlane G, Kingsley LA, Margolick JB, Giorgi J, Schrager LK, Phair JP. Effectiveness of potent
antiretroviral therapy on time to AIDS and death in men with known HIV infection duration. JAMA 1998;280:1497-1503.
- Muñoz A, Gange SJ, Jacobson LP. Distinguishing efficacy, individual effectiveness and population effectiveness of
therapies. AIDS 2000;14:754-756. PMC Exempt
Applied novel methods to examine effect of HAART at the individual level by accounting for confounding by indication and
- Ahdieh-Grant L, Yamashita TE, Phair JP, Detels R, Wolinsky SM, Margolick JB, Rinaldo CR, Jacobson LP. When to initiate
highly active antiretroviral therapy: a cohort approach. Am J Epidemiol 2003;157:738-746. PMC Exempt
- Cole SR, Hernan MA, Robins JM, Anastos K, Chmiel J, Detels R, Ervin C, Feldman J, Greenblatt R, Kingsley L, Lai S,
Young M, Cohen M, Muñoz A. Effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on time to acquired immunodeficiency
syndrome or death using marginal structural models. Am J Epidemiol 2003;158:687-694. PMC Exempt
Defined the effect of HAART on risk for AIDS-defining, and non-AIDS defining, cancers
- Jacobson LP, Yamashita TE, Detels R, Margolick JB, Chmiel JS, Kingsley LA, Melnick S, Muñoz A. Impact of potent
antiretroviral therapy on the incidence of Kaposi’s sarcoma and non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas among HIV-1-infected
individuals. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1999;21:S34-S41. PMC Exempt
- Seaberg EC, Wiley D, Martinez-Maza O, Chmiel JS, Kingsley L, Tang Y, Margolick JB, Jacobson LP for the Multicenter
AIDS Cohort Study (MACS). Cancer incidence in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study before and during the HAART era:
1984-2007. Cancer 2010;116:5507-5516. PMCID: PMC2991510
Demonstrated reductions in opportunistic infections and increased survival in men with KS and NHL
- Detels R, Tarwater P, Phair JP, Margolick J, Riddler SA, Muñoz A. Effectiveness of potent antiretroviral therapies
on the incidence of opportunistic infections before and after AIDS diagnosis. AIDS 2001;15:347-355. PMC Exempt
- Tam HK, Zhang ZF, Jacobson LP, Margolick JB, Chmiel JS, Rinaldo C, Detels R. Effect of highly active antiretroviral
therapy on survival among HIV- infected men with Kaposi sarcoma or non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Int J Cancer
2002;98:916-922. PMC Exempt
Demonstration of increased risk taking with HAART
- Ostrow DE, Fox KJ, Chmiel JS, Silvestre A, Visscher BR, Vanable PA, Jacobson LP, Strathdee SA. Attitudes towards
highly active antiretroviral therapy are associated with sexual risk taking among HIV-infected and uninfected
homosexual men. AIDS 2002;16:775-780. PMC Exempt
Improvement in NP function in men with HAART suppression of HIV replication
- Sacktor N, Skolasky RL, Tarwater PM, McArthur JC, Selnes OA, Becker J, Cohen B, Visscher B, Miller EN. Response to
systemic HIV viral load suppression correlates with psychomotor speed performance. Neurology 2003;61:567-569.
Persistence of HIV transcription in cells obtained from men with suppressed plasma HIV RNA
- Furtado MR, Callaway DS, Phair JP, Kunstman KJ, Stanton JL, Macken CA, Perelson AS, Wolinsky SM. Persistence of HIV-1
transcription in peripheral-blood mononuclear cells in patients receiving potent antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med
1999;340:1614-1622. PMC Exempt
Determined that with HAART LDL levels associated with HIV infection returned to pre-infection values in men with incident
- Riddler SA, Smit E, Cole SR, Li R, Chmiel JS, Dobs A, Palella F, Visscher B, Evans R, Kingsley LA. Impact of HIV
infection and HAART on serum lipids in men. JAMA 2003;289:2978-2982. PMC Exempt
HAART is associated with atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype, hypertension and glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and
- Seaberg EC, Muñoz A, Lu M, Detels R, Margolick JB, Riddler SA, Williams CM, Phair JP. Association between highly active
antiretroviral therapy and hypertension in a large cohort of men followed from 1984 to 2003. AIDS 2005;19:953-960.
- Brown TT, Cole SR, Li X, Kingsley LA, Palella FJ, Riddler SA, Visscher BR, Margolick JB, Dobs AS. Antiretroviral therapy
and the prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Arch Intern Med
2005;165:1179-1184. PMC Exempt
- Brown TT, Li X, Cole SR, Kingsley LA, Palella FJ, Riddler SA, Chmiel JS, Visscher BR, Margolick JB, Dobs AS. Cumulative
exposure to nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors is associated with insulin resistance markers in the
Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. AIDS 2005;19:1375-1383. PMC Exempt
- Riddler SA, Li X, Otvos J, Post W, Palella F, Kingsley L, Visscher B, Jacobson LP, Sharrett AR. Antiretroviral therapy
is associated with an atherogenic lipoprotein phenotype among HIV-1-infected men in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study.
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008;48:281-288. PMC exempt
Role of host genetics upon adverse effects of HAART as well as development of lipoatrophy
- Hendrickson SL, Jacobson LP, Nelson GW, Phair JP, Lautenberger J, Johnson RC, Kingsley L, Margolick JB, Detels R,
Goedert JJ, O'Brien SJ. Host genetic influences on highly active antiretroviral therapy efficacy and AIDS-free
survival. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008;48:263-271. PMC exempt
- Hendrickson SL, Kingsley LA, Ruiz-Pesini E, Poole JC, Jacobson LP, Palella FJ, Bream JH, Wallace DC, O'Brien SJ.
Mitochondrial DNA haplogroups influence lipoatrophy after highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune
Defic Syndr 2009;51:111-116. PMCID: PMC2742970
Demonstrated that life expectancy of HIV infected men approached that of uninfected MSM
- Wada N, Jacobson LP, Cohen M, French A, Phair J, Munoz A. Cause-specific life expectancies after 35 years of age for
human immunodeficiency syndrome-infected and human immunodeficiency syndrome-negative individuals followed
simultaneously in long-term cohort studies, 1984-2008. Am J Epidemiol 2013;177:116-125. PMCID: PMC3590031
HIV infected men had less coronary artery calcium than uninfected men but more carotid artery atherosclerosis
- Kaplan RC, Kingsley LA, Sharrett AR, Li X, Lazar J, Tien PC, Mack WJ, Cohen MH, Jacobson L, Gange SJ. Ten-year predicted
coronary heart disease risk in HIV-infected men and women. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45:1074-1081. PMC Exempt
- Kingsley LA, Cuervo-Rojas J, Munoz A, Palella FJ, Post W, Witt MD, Budoff M, Kuller L. Subclinical coronary
atherosclerosis, HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy: Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. AIDS 2008;22:1589-1599.
Directly measured glomerular filtration (GFR) rate by iohexol clearance more accurately characterized renal function
in both HIV infected and uninfected men and idenfied hepatitis C as a risk factor for lower GFR
- Margolick JB, Jacobson LP, Schwartz GJ, Abraham AG, Darilay AT, Kingsley LA, Witt MD, Palella FJ. Factors affecting
glomerular filtration rate, as measured by iohexol disappearance rate, in HIV-infected or -uninfected men. PLoS ONE
2013 PMCID: PMC Journal - In Process
Demonstration of earlier onset of frailty in HIV-infected men compared to HIV-uninfected men, possibly due to co-morbidities,
and of frailty as a risk factor for poorer health outcomes in HIV infected men
- Desquilbet L, Jacobson LP, Fried LP, Phair JP, Jamieson BD, Holloway M, Margolick JB. HIV-1 infection is associated
with an earlier occurrence of a phenotype related to frailty. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2007;62:1279-1286.
- Desquilbet L, Margolick JB, Fried LP, Phair JP, Jamieson BD, Holloway M, Jacobson LP. Relationship between a frailty-
related phenotype and progressive deterioration of the immune system in HIV-infected men. J Acquir Immune Defic
Syndr 2009;50:299-306. PMCID: PMC2699396
- Desquilbet L, Jacobson LP, Fried LP, Phair JP, Jamieson BD, Holloway M, Margolick JB. A frailty-related phenotype
before HAART initiation as an independent risk factor for AIDS or death after HAART among HIV-infected men.
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2011;66:1030-1038. PMCID: PMC3156632
- Althoff KN, Jacobson LP, Cranston RD, Detels R, Phair JP, Li X, Margolick JB for the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study.
Age, comorbidities and AIDS predict the frailty phenotype in men who have sex with men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci
2013. PMCID: PMC Journal - In Process
Demonstration of the effect of HIV infection and aging on the CD4 T-cell compartment in treated and untreated HIV
infection, with changes resembling those seen in aging HIV-uninfected men
- Rickabaugh TM, Kilpatrick RD, Hultin LE, Hultin PM, Hausner MA, Sugar CA, Althoff KN, Margolick JB, Rinaldo CR, Detels R,
Phair J, Effros RB, Jamieson BD. The dual impact of HIV-1 infection and aging on naive CD4 T-cells: additive and
distinct patterns of impairment. PLoS ONE 2011;6(1): e16459. PMCID: PMC3027697
Development of quality controlled T-cell phenotyping in multiple laboratories, and evolution and updating of these methods
- Giorgi JV, Cheng HL, Margolick JB, Bauer KD, Ferbas J, Waxdal M, Schmid I, Hultin LE, Jackson AL, Park L, Taylor JMG,
the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Group. Quality control in the flow cytometric measurement of T-lymphocyte subsets:
the multicenter AIDS cohort study experience. The Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study Group. Clin Immunol Immunopathol
1990;55:173-186. PMC Exempt
- Schenker EL, Hultin LE, Bauer KD, Ferbas J, Margolick JB, Giorgi JV. Evaluation of a dual-color flow cytometry
immunophenotyping panel in a multicenter quality assurance program. Cytometry 1993;14:307-317. PMC Exempt
- Hultin LE, Menendez FA, Hultin PM, Jamieson BD, O'Gorman MR, Matud JL, Denny TN, Margolick JB. Assessing
immunophenotyping performance: proficiency-validation for adopting improved flow cytometry methods. Cytometry B Clin
Cytom 2007;72(4): 249-255. PMC Exempt
- Hultin LE, Chow M, Jamieson BD, O’Gorman MR, Menendez FA, Borowski L, Denny TN, Margolick JB. Comparison of
interlaboratory variation in absolute T-cell counts by single-platform and optimized dual-platform methods.
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 2010;78B:194-200. PMCID: PMC3086643
Exploration of the role of illicit drug use among men with incident HIV infection
- Ostrow DG, Plankey MW, Cox C, Li X, Shoptaw S, Jacobson LP, Stall RC. Specific sex drug combinations contribute to
the majority of recent HIV seroconversions among MSM in the MACS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2009;51:349-355.
Demonstration that anti-R7V antibodies are not associated with slower progression of HIV infection, in contrast to what had
been seen in cross-sectional studies
- Margolick JB, Da Costa Castro JM, Sanchez A, Gemrot F, Phair JP, Jamieson BD, Rinaldo CR, Jacobson LP. The relationship
between antibody to R7V and progression of HIV type 1 infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2010;26(4): 389-394.
Documented changes in CNS function and anatomic changes due to age and HIV infection
- Becker JT, Maruca V, Kingsley LA, Sanders JM, Alger JR, Barker PB, Goodkin K, Martin E, Miller EN, Ragin A, Sacktor N,
Selnes O. Factors affecting brain structure in men with HIV disease in the post-HAART era. Neuroradiology
2012;54:113-121. PMCID: PMC3154580
No balance deficit in treated HIV
- Cohen HS, Cox C, Springer G, Hoffman HJ, Young MA, Margolick JB, Plankey MW. Prevalence of abnormalities in vestibular
function and balance among HIV-seropositive and HIV-seronegative women and men. PLoS ONE 2012;7(5): e38419.
T cell homeostasis failure is associated with decreased T cell production and co-receptor switching of HIV variants
- Maas JJ, Gange SJ, Schuitemaker H, Coutinho RA, van Leeuwen R, Margolick JB. Strong association between failure of
T cell homeostasis and the syncytium-inducing phenotype among HIV-1-infected men in the Amsterdam Cohort Study.
AIDS 2000; 14:1155-1161. PMC Exempt
- Chattopadhyay PK, Douek DC, Gange SJ, Chadwick, KR, Hellerstein M, Margolick JB. Longitudinal assessment of de novo
T cell production in relation to HIV-associated T cell homeostasis failure. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2006;22:501-507.
Detailed characterization of milestones in HIV evolution (intra-time point diversity and divergence from the founder strain)
- Shankarappa R, Margolick JB, Gange SJ, Rodrigo AG, Upchurch D, Farzadegan H, Gupta P, Rinaldo CR, Learn GH, He X,
Huang XL, Mullins JI. Consistant viral evolutionary changes associated with the progression of human immunodeficiency
virus type 1 infection. J Virology 1999;73:10489-10502. PMC Exempt
- Shepherd JC, Jacobson LP, Qiao W, Jamieson BD, Phair JP, Piazza P, Quinn TC, Margolick JB. Emergence and persistence of
CXCR4-tropic HIV in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. J Infect Dis 2008;198:1104-12. PMCID: PMC2753263
Psychomotor functioning changes in HIV-infected men receiving HAART are similar to those of age-matched HIV-uninfected men
- Cole MA, Margolick JB, Cox C, Li X, Selnes OA, Martin EM, Becker JT, Aronow HA, Cohen B, Sacktor N, Miller EN for the
Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. Longitudinally preserved psychomotor performance in long-term asymptomatic HIV-infected
individuals. Neurology 2007;69:2213-2220. PMC Exempt
Undetectable viral load value distributions can be estimated from values that are measurable with a new, more sensitive viral
- Schneider MF, Margolick JB, Jacobson LP, Reddy S, Martinez-Maza O, Muñoz A. Improved estimation of the distribution of
suppressed plasma HIV-1 RNA in men receiving effective antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr
2012;59:389-92. PMCID: PMC3299865
Demonstrated the role of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte in recovery from nonprogressive HIV infection
- Rinaldo C, Huang X-L, Fan Z, Ding M, Beltz L, Logar A, Panicali D, Mazzara G, Liebmann J, Cottrill M, Gupta P. High levels
of anti-human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) memory cytotoxic T-lymphocyte activity and low viral load are
associated with lack of disease in HIV-1-infected long-term nonprogressors. J Virol 1995;69:5838-5842. PMC Exempt
Discovered a new receptor for HHV-8/KSHV infection
- Rappocciolo G, Jenkins FJ, Hensler HR, Piazza P, Jair M, Borowski L, Watkins SC, Rinaldo CR Jr. DC-SIGN is a receptor for
human herpesvirus 8 on dendritic cells and macrophages. J Immunol 2006;176:1741-1749. PMC Exempt